Media Releases


New border restrictions for travel between Victoria & NSW.

Simplified rules for 17 border communities

The Liberal Member for Northern Victoria Region Wendy Lovell has sought to clarify the new restrictions in place for travel between Victoria and NSW.

The new rules, which came into effect at 11.59pm on 20 December, are in response to the latest COVID-19 outbreak on Sydney’s Northern beaches.

Seventeen Victorian local government areas have been designated as a border community and residents of these areas will only need to photo id with their current address to move between the two states. This can be as simple as a driver’s licence. These local government areas are: Alpine Valleys, Benalla, Bendigo Buloke, Campaspe, East Gippsland, Gannawarra, Indigo, Loddon, Mildura, Moira, Shepparton, Swan Hill, Towong, Wangaratta, Wodonga and Yarriambiack.

Victorian residents who do not live in one of these local government areas, including in Mitchell and Strathbogie shires, who enter NSW, must obtain a Victorian Border Crossing Permit to return to Victoria, unless exemptions apply.

Greater Sydney including the Northern beaches and the NSW Central Coast have now been classified as ‘red zone’ areas. That means that any person who lives in these areas or has visited these areas since 11 December 2020 cannot enter Victoria.

NSW residents and residents of all other states travelling to Victoria through NSW must obtain a Victorian Border Crossing Permit to enter. As do Victorians returning to the state through NSW unless they live in one of the 17 border communities.

For further information on current border restrictions or to obtain a Victorian Border Crossing Permit visit:


Media Contact:  Jason Kelly         0413 103 240  


You are donating to : Greennature Foundation

How much would you like to donate?
$10 $20 $30
Would you like to make regular donations? I would like to make donation(s)
How many times would you like this to recur? (including this payment) *
Name *
Last Name *
Email *
Additional Note